Innkeepers are paying more and more commissions on bookings. These non-direct bookings continue to grow as Google and TripAdvisor widen their nets to sell your rooms. What percentage of your bookings are coming via an OTA? Is it 10%, 20%, 30%, or more? You are spending approximately 18 cents on each dollar booked via an OTA. What’s more, Google is on a mission to maneuver between you and your guest, not to mention prevent hotels, inns, and bed and breakfasts from accessing GMB (Google My Business) tools that other industry professionals, such as doctors, lawyers, plumbers, etc., all have access to. These tools include updating your business description, having a direct link to your booking engine, and posting Google Posts. If our industry had access to these options, as other industries do, then we would be able to advertise to the guest to book direct. But Google would be cut out of the deal. Thus, those in our industry have no access to these valuable tools.
Read more from local experts on how Google wants to get between you and your guests.
When you commit to booking direct, you will enjoy many perks and amenities that you would not have access to when booking through a travel agency. Not to mention, you will pay less!
When booking direct:
- You usually are guaranteed the lowest pricing available.
- You work directly with the property in case of changes, delays, or cancellations.
- You typically will not have to pay additional booking, change, or cancellation fees.
- You will enjoy exclusive benefits.
- You can take advantage of special deals or amenities.